What I’m Reading This Summer: Sue Ellen Henry

The latest entry in our summertime faculty reading series comes from Sue Ellen Henry, Associate Professor of Education and Director of the Teaching and Learning Center.

Sue Ellen says:  “Summer reading is maybe the best, because it’s more loose, spent in time chunks of more than 15 minutes, and I can stay up later, which means reading in bed, which may be the best thing ever.”

Here’s what she is reading and plans to read for the summer:

Citizen, Caludia Rankine: who will be coming to campus as a visiting poet this year.

Hold Still, Sally Mann. A beautiful text that explores this famous photographer’s relationship with her parents, her art, and her children.

On The Move, Oliver Sacks. Similar to Mann’s autobiography, Sacks (who has terminal cancer), explores the small and large influences on his thinking, his time as a Venice beach weight lifter, learning to be a gay man comfortable in his own skin, doing drugs, and most importantly, how he discovered his gift of developing rapport with his patients.

The Good Food Revolution, Will Allen. This is the first year common reading for our incoming class.

How College Works, Dan Chambliss and Christopher Takacs. This is the central text around which the TLC is centering our programming for 2015-16. The short story: relationships are what help make college successful for students.

She adds, “I have also committed to reading The New Yorker each week this summer. I have the better part of a year’s worth which will be great for reading-while-camping!”

One Response to “What I’m Reading This Summer: Sue Ellen Henry”

1. Jordi says:

I didn’t know Sacks was dying.

I am carrying around Allen’s Good Food revolution too.