What I’m Reading This Summer: John Rickard

This week’s “What I’m Reading This Summer” list features John Rickard, Professor of English.  John writes,

“Here are the first couple of books I’m either reading or preparing to read:

Sacred Hunger, by Barry Unsworth — I picked it because I’d read good reviews, because it won the Booker Prize, and because it’s a historical novel that portrays the slave trade in the 18th century.

A Girl Is a Half-Formed Thing, by Eimear McBride — a new experimental Irish novel that’s getting a lot of attention right now; the author has written about her debt to James Joyce, which makes it especially interesting to me.

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism, by Naomi Klein — highly recommended by my wife and pertinent after a recent trip to Greece.

Inventing Human Rights: A History, by Lynn Hunt — preparation for an Integrated Perspectives course next spring.”

Also on John’s summertime reading list are:

Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Zone One, by Colson Whitehead