What I’m Reading This Summer: Leslie Harris

The latest summertime reading list in our series comes from Leslie Harris.  Leslie is an instructional technologist with Library and IT’s Digital Pedagogy and Scholarship Group.  He administers Bucknell’s Moodle Course Management System.

Leslie writes,

“Here’s what I hope to read this summer:

1. Loving Day: A Novel, by Mat Johnson.  This is the first-year common reading for Fall 2016.  I have read it once already, but I plan to re-read it in preparation for the discussions in August.
  2. Changing Race: Latinos, the Census and the History of Ethnicity in the United States, by Clara E. Rodriguez.
  3. Race: Are We So Different?  by Alan H. Goodman, Yolanda T. Moses, and Joseph L. Jones
  4. How Real is Race?: A Sourcebook on Race, Culture, and Biology, by Carol Chapnick Mukhopadhyay, Yolanda Moses, and Rosemary Henze.  This and the two books just above it represent “background reading” for me related to the issue of the social construction of race.  Mat Johnson’s Loving Day raises the issue of race and whether someone can self-identify as belonging to a particular race, so I am hoping that these readings will help me understand that issue more fully.
  5. The Three-Body Problem, by Cixin Liu.  I love science fiction novels, and one of my long-standing projects has been to read all the novels that have won the Hugo Award.  This book was the Hugo Award winner in 2015.
  6. Ancillary Mercy, by Ann Leckie.  This is the third novel in a trilogy and the 2016 Nebula Award winner for best novel.  I read the first two novels in the trilogy – Ancillary Justice (2013) and Ancillary Sword (2014) – so I am looking forward to reading this concluding novel.”