What I’m Reading This Summer: Patrick Newhart ’18

Extra! Extra!  There’s one more summertime reading list!  Patrick Newhart ’18, who is Param Bedi’s Executive Intern, enjoyed the summertime reading lists of Bucknell staff so much that he wanted to get in on the action.  Here’s Patrick’s summertime reading list!  He writes,

“With summer coming to a close, it is probably more appropriate to reflect on what I’ve read this summer, and look at a few other books that I can’t wait to get my hands on before the academic year picks up. I have to admit, I really commit to summer reading when I find a great list of books like I have this past season. My list consists of:

1. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. I really enjoy reading the Pulitzer Prize winners every year, and for some reason, this winner from a few years back escaped me! I picked it up this summer, and was really impressed with how Sci-Fi and fantasy-esque themes are seamlessly weaved into a complex and deep story revolving around the struggles that immigrants from the Dominican Republic face as from both their home government structure and transitions to the United States culture. Spoiler Alert: Don’t read the title of the book!

2. Room by Emma Donoghue. This is one that I have been wanting to read for a while. Out of all of my summer reads, this is probably the one that I struggled the most to put down. Told from the perspective of the five year old son, this novel  was a completely gripping commentary on the way the media around the world treats not only victims of tragedies like abductions, kidnapping, or horrible events like the collapsing of the Chilean mines, but also a heartwarming story about the growth of a relationship of a mother and her son. Will definitely suck up a few days.

3. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. If you are into mysteries and thrillers, this is the book for you! Told from the perspective of a few different narrators, you are never really sure what is going on in this book until the very last section.

4. Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This book is a very interesting take on an investigative novel, delving into issues in gender and identity. From page one, you know a man named Santiago was murdered, however, no one tried to stop it.

In addition, I want to read Hamilton: The Revolution by Jeremy McCarter and Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. I’ll take any chance I can to get to learn more about Hamilton, and also some of the works that inspired and provide commentary to the broadway musical Hamilton! Further, even though I may not get into it before the semester, I can’t wait to read The Girls by Emma Cline. I love reading authors’ first novels, and this one has received nothing but high praise.”

Thanks for participating, Patrick, and thanks to all of our participating readers this summer!  We hope you’ve enjoyed perusing their booklists, and have found some interesting items to pursue on your own!